Search this site:

Quotations about computer (Part V)

The real question is not whether machines think but whether men do.
-B. F. Skinner, Contingencies of Reinforcement

The robot is going to lose. Not by much. But when the final score is tallied, flesh and blood is going to beat the damn monster.
-Adam Smith

I have always wished for a computer that would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish came true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.
-Bjarne Stroustrup

If you don't know how to do something, you don't know how to do it with a computer.
-Source Unknown

Computers in the future will weigh no more than 1.5 tons. Quoted in Popular Mechanics 1950
-Source Unknown

Anyway, there's plenty of room for doubt. It might seem easy enough, but computer language design is just like a stroll in the park....
Jurassic Park, that is.
-Larry Wall

I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.
-Thomas J. Watson

If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization.
-Harry Weinberger

As far as we know, our computer has never had an undetected error.
-Weisert

I'm not against machines, as are some people who feel that the computer is leading us back into the jungle...I'm against machines only when the convenience they afford to some people is regarded as more important than the inconvenience they cause to all.
In short, I don't think computers should wear the pants or make the decisions. They are deficient in humor, they are not intuitive, and they are not aware of the imponderables. The men who feed them seem to believe that everything is made out of ponderables, which isn't the case. I read a poem once that a computer had written, but didn't care much for it. It seemed to me I could write a better one myself, if I were to put my mind to it.
-E.B. (Elwyn Brooks) White, Dear Mr. ___, "The New Yorker", 1967

Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window.
-Steve Wozniak

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
-Emo Philips

Bill Gates is the pope of the personal computer industry. He decides who's going to build.
-Larry Ellison

Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes.
-Edsger Dijkstra

Computers are magnificent tools for the realization of our dreams, but no machine can replace the human spark of spirit, compassion, love, and understanding.
-Louis Gerstner

Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.
~Pablo Picasso

Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the things they make it easier to do don't need to be done.
~Andy Rooney

Computing is not about computers any more. It is about living.
~Nicholas Negroponte

Data is not information, information is not knowledge, knowledge is not understanding, understanding is not wisdom.
~Clifford Stoll

Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog.
~Doug Larson

I am not the only person who uses his computer mainly for the purpose of diddling with his computer.
~Dave Barry

I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.
~Isaac Asimov

I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.
~Stephen Hawking

I think it's fair to say that personal computers have become the most empowering tool we've ever created. They're tools of communication, they're tools of creativity, and they can be shaped by their user.
~Bill Gates

Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window.
~Steve Wozniak

Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
~Isaac Asimov

People think computers will keep them from making mistakes. They're wrong. With computers you make mistakes faster.
~Adam Osborne

Supercomputers will achieve one human brain capacity by 2010, and personal computers will do so by about 2020.
~Ray Kurzweil

The computer is a moron.
~Peter Drucker

The digital revolution is far more significant than the invention of writing or even of printing.
~Douglas Engelbart

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do.
~Ted Nelson

No Response to " Quotations about computer (Part V) "

Post a Comment